March 31 update: I just finished the build of the QAV210 Charpu. This was a bit of challenge but you can see the progress of a quad from in the box to the park ready to fly. Look at the video on Youtube… If you have any question, just ask on youtube video comment section and I will try my best to help you…
The world of FPV quadcopter racing is growing fast, a lot of people want to build there own but it can be intimidating… This is where I come to help! You will learn about all the components needed to build a solid mini racing quadcopter. I will help you assemble the quadcopter and gives useful tips for first-time builders. It’s really not that difficult!
- Multistar Elite 2204-2300KV motors
- M3 Aluminum Low Profile Nyloc Nut M5 (4 Black CW & 4 Purple CCW)
- DYS XM Serie 20AV1
- RROSD PRO PDB
- X-Racer Flight controller
- 3-4S LED Board Strip
- HS1177 CCD Camera
- Foxeer TM600 FPV Mini 5.8G 40CH 600mW VTx Race Band
- 5.8G Clover Leaf/Scew Planar polarized antenna set
- Tri-blade DALprop T5045 Bullnose Props
- 3d printed parts
Feb 16 update: Can’t get enough of QAV! The Raceblade is now call QAV-R and my review is up, this QAV-R is amazing!
Jan 16 update: With the release of the RaceBlade FPV Racing Quadcopter from getfpv, I will probably migrate the parts on it! More to follow when I get it soon!
The flying season is coming to a end here on the east coast…maybe not completely, but not as fun to fly. Anyway, as technology progresses, the Kool Aid always changes colour! It appears now that the 250 standard size for mini quad is not the norm anymore! We see more and more smaller quadcopters that produce great performances. There are many examples out, but I decided to plunge with the QAV210 CHARPU and it is SMALL, if you compare it to a Vortex for example. As I have more time to build and play with Cleanflight, I decided to check out Boris’s Betaflight. If you didn’t checked it out yet, then you are missing out! It’s a modified version of current Cleanflight firmware, with many excellent performance improvements.(more info on BorisB blog)
As for building the QAV210, it’s a very simple build. If you have ever built a quad before, this quad will be easy for you. The QAV210 CHARPU is designed to be the smallest possible airframe, while comfortably supporting 5″ props and 220X size motors. The assembled kit containing Carbon Fiber Plates, Power Distribution Board and all hardware weighs in at only 91g, yes only 91g!
Like, it’s popular ‘Big Brother’, the Lumenier QAV250, the QAV210 CHARPU utilizes high quality 3K carbon fiber that is precision machined for a superb fit-and-finish. The QAV210 CHARPU is an awesome FPV racer and acrobat.
- Full 3K Carbon Fiber airframe featuring a solid 3mm thick “Unibody” main plate.
- Multiple motor mounting holes to fit a variety of motors (M3 and M2 screw mounting patterns).
- “Bumpers” on the end of the arms to protect the motor during a crash, just like the QAV250.
- Flight controller cover plate includes cutouts for SMA connector and video transmitter, as well as a holder for the included XT-60 Lipo pig-tail.
- Included Lumenier 4Power power distribution board and XT-60 Pig-Tail to power ESCs and FPV flight electronics. The PDB can optionally be outfitted with a Pololu 12v or 5v voltage step-down.
- Easy Lipo Access (suggested Lipo is a 1300mah 3 or 4s)
- Support for 32mm board cams as well as 26mm cams in cases such as the HS1177.
- 3d Printed support to carry HD camera (such as the GoPro 4 and Xiaomi YI)
- Included landing gear
- RCX H2205 2350KV
- RCX 20A (FVT Little Bee) BLHELI ESC combo
- RCX USBLink Programmer
- Gemfan 5045 props, I will used them until my stash is out and switch to Gemfan 5045 Bullnose
- RMRC Seriously Dodo Flight Controller
- FrSky D4R-II rx
- RCX Mini LED Light (multicolour)
- AOMWAY vtx 200mW
- Fatshark ImmersionRC SpiroNet 5.8GHz Antenna
- Foxeer XAT600M Sony CCD FPV Camera
- FrSky Taranis X9D
If you are using BlHeli ESC like the Little Bee, you will have to flash them to the latest firmware as of today(01/11/2015) 14.103, go to this link: BLHELISUITE . The only thing I changed was to enable “Damped light” and to reverse a motor as required.
It is a super simple design with just a few pieces. I did a few changes to make it more resistant in the event of a crash. I used 35mm m3 plastic post. That way in a crash, the post will break, instead of the carbon fibre frame. I attached my VTx with velcro and a zip tie only, not the pre-made hole on the frame. That way in a crash, it will just come loose. That is about it, the rest is pretty much good to go! I mounted the GoPro on a 3d Printed seat attached to the top plate and secured it with a Velcro strap.
Noting complicated, as long as you keep it to the minimum required to fly and you should be fine. I mounted the PDB, the Dodo and the rx on top of that to maximize the space and it works great. If you do that, you will require more m3 spacers to stack up the equipment. For the FPV camera, I went with the optional fixed 20 degrees and fixed it with a few dabs of hot glue. It was probably not necessary, but that is the way I went about it and it’s working fine.
Value for the money:
For less than $300, you get an amazing quad with the latest on everything, particularly the esc, motor combo for less than $100. This is an amazing power combo with amazing power, no vibration…I have nothing bad to say. The frame is extremely compact, but still permits you to use 5 inches props and enough space to mount all equipment required to fly FPV.
All in all, again, a great extremely compact frame that flies amazing. It’s just a great quad and if you do those simple changes I did, you are in for a real treat that will take any crash with ease!
Flight time: 4-7 minutes, depends on battery use and flying style.
Suitability for beginners: Why not start with an amazing frame if you can afford it.
FPV capability: This is the sole purpose of this frame!
Value for money: Yes, it is a great value.
Strength: Definitely as strong as the other one!
- frame ready to go: 319g
- frame ready with Xiaomi YI: 393g
- frame ready with Xiaomi YI and a 1400 3s: 511g
Cheers guys! Have a good day and please subscribe to my youtube channel and like my Facebook page to stay in touch for more reviews. If you would like me to build this model and have it ready to fly for you, please contact me to purchase.